In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a reproductive technology (ART) which is also known as IVF. In vitro fertilization is a process of manual fertilization by combining the sperm and the egg in a laboratory dish (also known as petri dish). This is then transferred to the embryo inside the uterus. Apart from IVF, other forms of assisted reproductive technology include zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT) and gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT).
IVF is used to treat infertility in patients who have:
- Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes.
- Male infertility which includes decreased sperm count or sperm motility.
- Women who have uterine fibroids, premature ovarian failure and ovulation disorders
- Women who’ve had their fallopian tubes surgically removed
- Individuals who have a genetic disorder
- Unexplained infertility
For people afflicted with such conditions and disorders the best places for IVF treatment in the country are:
- Apollo hospital center for assisted reproduction- This hospital offers best in class infertility treatment in India. High end equipment and modern surgical procedures are used for treatment. The team based at Apollo infertility treatment clinic consists of expert doctors who specialize as Andrologists, embryologists, ultra-sonographers, nurse counselors and other experts in reproductive medicine. Apollo hospitals have had successful outcomes in infertility treatment through sheer excellence and integrity. Conditions like endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome, fibroids and male infertility issues are also treated by experienced professionals.
- Indira infertility and IVF center- This is one of the leading hospitals in India which deals with treating infertility.Being the best IVF hospitals in India, high quality patient friendly approach is adhered throughout the infertility workup that ensures a smooth process as soon as the patient enters the clinic. After the diagnosis is over, the patient is given a personalized treatment guaranteed by a dedicated expert. Indira IVF center has some of the best embryologists and fertility experts in the country. The clinics have a friendly interior design which reduces stress and anxiety for their numerous patients.
- BLK hospitals- This is one of the best clinics to get an IVF treatment from. It believes in the vision of creating a non intrusive quality care by utilizing leading technologies and focusing on tertiary healthcare organizations. BLK hospitals generally focus to take care of the patients needs with ethics and integrity. Apart from IVF treatments, BLK hospitals also specialize in surrogacy and egg donation. This hospital also deals with Intra uterine insemination and laparoscopic surgeries for fertility.
Infertility has become a common phenomenon across the world. Every one out of eight people are estimated to be affected with this problem. There are treatments to overcome this condition but there are several misconceptions that make couples fear and reluctant them from getting the best fertility treatment. The most common treatment for infertility is IVF (in vitro fertilization), though there are few other procedures as well.
One may not merely remain disheartened if one has infertility issues, rather they should stress on finding the right fertility clinic. But here are few things which you need to be aware of before you head to any fertility centre.
Things to consider:
- 1. General consideration:
No matter how trivial it might sound but the location of the fertility clinic matters. Fertility treatment requires several sitting with the doctor and is time consuming. Regular visits and travel time can be tedious and unmanageable. Long travels take an even heavy toll in older couples and pregnant mothers.
Infertility treatment is very expensive. There are various treatments that cater to different issues regarding infertility. People need to see if the fertility clinic has got those treatments available which they need. You may also opt forinsurance schemes offered by the fertility clinic. There are chances that if the IVF treatment goes unsuccessful, it is important to inquire about IVF refund program. Know the fertility clinic’s embryo storing and freezing cost and the frozen embryo transfer (FET cycle).
- 3. Success rate of fertility clinic:
Check the success rate of the fertility clinic. Most fertility clinic report the statistics on their websites which makes it easier for the people to compare the stats of various fertility clinics.
- 4. Credentials of the doctor:
Good doctors hold and reputef ertility clinics. Check if your doctor is a specialist in reproductive endocrinology and his fellowship program. Check which hospitals or clinics he is affiliated to. The credentials of the specialist helps you determine his/her experience which adds to a greater chance of success in the treatment.
- 5. Reputation of the clinic:
Collect feedbacks about the clinic from friends, family or via online. Check how many specialists are affiliated to the clinic. Try to know the staff attrition rate of the clinic so as to take a glimpse of the clinic’s performance.
These are the essential facts that need to be considered before heading towards a fertility hospital. There are many fertility hospitals in India but abiding by the facts mentioned above will help people find the best fertility hospital among them.
Intrauterine insemination treatment or IUI is a procedure where the fast moving sperms are separated from the non-moving sperms. IUI treatment can be performed with the help of one’s partner’s or any donor’s sperm. IUI procedure can help people have a baby and complete their family but they need to be aware of some facts regarding the treatment.
- People will be given fertility drugs and the ovulation cycle will be closely monitored.
- Their partner or a donor needs provide sperm samples that have to be washed and prepared for insemination.
- Their doctors will then inject this sperm into their uterus.
Getting ready for the procedure:
People need to visit the fertility specialist and have a pre-IUI workup. The specialist will determine if the person is in good health and would assess the hormone levels and the condition of uterus.
Before the IUI procedure starts, the specialist will put them on an ovulation drug. The doctor would monitor the person through the ultrasound and blood tests. These tests would confirm the production of healthy eggs by the person. These tests would also help the specialist to determine the perfect timing to inject the sperms.Person need to undergo another test that clarifies the time frame of the ovulation to happen.
Inserting the sperm:
The process of injecting the sperm is painless and quick. It takes almost 1-2 hours at max. three steps that follow:
- 1. Person need to lie down like is done in a pelvic examination
- 2. The specialist will inject a catheter inside the person’s cervix
- 3. Finally the specialist will inject the washed sperm into the person’s uterus
Get prepared for IUI:
IUI treatment requires the person to change their lifestyle to increase the chance of a healthy pregnancy. For that they need to follow the below mentioned steps:
- The person undergoing this process needs to adapt a healthy lifestyle and dietary habits prescribed by the doctor
- This increases the chances of healthy pregnancy, the person need to attain a healthy weight
- The person needs to stop the consumption of alcohol, nicotine and any other drug
- Start talking multivitamins with doctor’s consultation.
The IUI treatment for pregnancy helps people have a family who have been suffering from infertility. Not only couples but same-sex partners and single parents get the chance to have a baby. Having a baby is a life changing experience. So people who were deprived of the happiness of being a parent can fulfill their dreams with the help of IUI treatment.
A Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test that peeps into the uterus and fallopian tubes in women. This test is performed on the women who experience difficulty conceiving babies.
The procedure of HSG test is as follows:
- The woman is put on sedativesto let her relax.
- A dye is put in a sleek tube which is inserted into the uterus through the vagina. As the uterus and fallopian tubes are linked together, the dye starts to flows into the tube.
- Pictures are taken while the dye flows through the fallopian tube with the help of constant beam of X-Ray.
- The X-ray is potent in detecting issues like injuries or any abnormality in the structure of the uterus or the fallopian tubes.
- It can also detect any blockage that prevents the sperm to move into the fallopian tube to fertilize.
Purpose of HSG test:
AHSG test for infertilityis done:
- To detect any blockage in fallopian tube that might be restricting the process of fertilization.
- To detect abnormal structures forming in uterus like fibroids, polyps, adhesions or other formations.
- To check whether the tubal implants that are performed for the purpose of permanent birth control are blocking or restricting the fallopian tubes.
- To check whether the surgery to reverse the tubal ligation has been successful.
How to prepare:
The woman needs to inform her doctor if she is going through any of the following conditions:
- If she is pregnant or is likely to
- Carrying a pelvic infection or a sexually transmitted infection
- Any allergic iodine dye or other substances that contain iodine
- Any bleeding issues or consuming medicines for blood thinning
- Case history related to kidney problems or diabetes
- Their last menstruation
- The only risk that lingers on with such test is the mild chance of the cell or tissues getting exposed to radiation and being damaged as a result.
- Although rare, another risk that is involved in the test is getting pelvic infection test.
HSG test is done during the inception of infertility treatments. This helps the doctors to comprehend the actual condition of the person in order to proceed with the treatment. HSG test has made diagnosis for infertility much easier with increased accuracy. Thus doctors now days depend a lot on HSG test for infertility to determine the condition of the patients. It is essential for the patients to co-operate with the doctor by providing accurate information about the conditions to minimize the chances of any complications.
12 months or more of unprotected sex without pregnancy is considered a determinant of infertility. Infertility is of two types namely primary or secondary. The first type indicates firsthand infertility without any episode of previous pregnancy. Whereas the second involves problems faced by a couple who have conceived and given birth earlier. A common word used in these contexts is sterility which means the inability to produce children. Childless couples of which the woman is aged below 43, are usually considered infertile.
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine recommends that a couple seeks medical help if the female partner is over 35 years old and if they are experiencing trouble conceiving. However, younger couples often choose to wait for their bodies to take the natural course rather than opt for medical intervention. It is advised to seek doctoral help if you are unable to get pregnant in case of some medical history, such as polycystic ovary, previous tubal pregnancy, irregular menstrual cycles and the like.
Infertility is a problem that affects many people and cuts across all societies. That is why, infertility treatment centres are important than ever now. Such centres not only provide medical treatment, but also offer sexual advice so that couples can conceive with the least interference and the best emotional health. Ovulation in women occur on the 14th day of a 28-day long period cycle, or the 16th day of a 30-day span. Generally, doctors suggest intercourse on the day of ovulation or on the day before since the egg survives only for 12-24 hours, while the sperm stays for 2-5 days.
Causes of infertility:
- Anovulation – This is a condition caused due to lack of ovulation. Some women do not develop and release a mature egg every month.
- Oligoovulation – This is a condition characterized by irregular ovulation. Some women ovulate several times a year. They often need medication to induce regular egg development and ovulation. Polycystic ovarian syndrome can cause both anovulation and oligoovulation.
- Tubal factor infertility – This is caused by pelvic infection or scar tissue formation after pelvic surgery. This includes one blocked fallopian tube, or no blockage but tubal scarring.
- Sperm issues – Sperm count or motility can contribute to fertility issues. Semen analysis is a good way to identify sperm fertility.
Infertility treatment centres in India are focusing on advising patients to adopt lifestyle changes, as well as on cutting edge medical facilities. It is possible to treat infertility with minimum intervention, and with sexual advice that aids both physical and psychological health of couples.
How does fertility testing help you?
Fertility testing is extremely important if you are trying to have a baby with your partner. According to experts, it is important to get tested with a doctor if you aren’t able to conceive even after having regular unprotected sex or without the use of a contraceptive or a birth control for 6 to 12 months at a stretch. When you visit a fertility clinic or a specialist who deals with fertility issues, he/she will generally ask you about your medical history like surgeries or long term conditions, medicines you are on currently, whether you drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or do illicit drugs and if you have ever had direct contact with radiation, toxins or chemicals.
How are women treated for infertility?
There is no best test for infertility, however doctors usually use various ways to identify a problem which can cause fertility issues. You can get a pap smear done. This usually detects sexually transmitted diseases, problems with the cervix and cervical cancer. Tests which check for the release of each egg every month is also required if you are facing problems in getting pregnant. Your specialist might tell you to take a urine test for luteinizing LH or hormone. This hormone appears in high amounts right before you ovulate. The basal body temperature is also calculated every morning by your doctor. Apart from this, thyroid tests are also carried out to check for hormonal problems.
What are the types of fertility tests?
1. Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)- This is also known as a tubogram. A series of X-rays images is taken of your uterus and fallopian tubes. First the doctor injects a liquid dye through the vagina and then carries out the X-ray.
2. Transvaginal ultrasound- A doctor inserts an ultrasound wand into the vagina and brings it closer to the pelvic organs. Using sound waves the doctor will be able to see the innards of your genital regions
3. Hysteroscopy- In this test, the doctor puts a flexible and thin tube with a camera on one end through the cervix and inside the uterus. Tissue samples are also be taken if possible.
4. Laparascopy- The doctor makes extremely small cuts inside your belly and inserts a camera inside. This test diagnoses diseases such as endometriosis.
Infertility is the inability to able to conceive even after a year of unprotected intercourse. It is a broad term and there are various medical conditions that come under the banner of this term. Infertility has become a common phenomenon; as one out of eight couple face issues conceiving naturally. Approximately 40% of infertility has been traced to women and about the same amount to men. The rests 20% is a combination of both the genders.
Approximately 5% of the infertile couple incline towards infertility services in India. People going through such issues need to keep few things in mind while consider an infertility treatment in India:
1. Conventional IVF is time consuming:
Before people consider starting an infertility treatment, they need to be patient throughout the procedure. The procedure of In-vitro fertilization or IVF, involves the removal of eggs from the woman’s ovary, fertilized outside the body and finally being replaced inside the womb. The treatment involves consuming medicines, conducting multiple scans and visit to the doctors for many weeks. As such the treatment might take in upwards of 4-5 weeks.
2. Different types of IVF:
Natural IVF is one form of treatment which is less intensive than the earlier one and does not require any stimulating drug. Natural Modified IVF requires maximum 3-4 days of drugs and Mild IVF only 5-9 days. The advantages of these treatments are that they take one cycle to complete the procedure without interfering with the menstrual cycle.
People need to have clarity that the cost of one cycle is not the cost for the complete treatment. Cycle costs is only inclusive of scans, collection of egg, embryology and embryo transfer. However the cost of blood test and the medication is not covered in the package. People should clarify all the queries regarding the cost of the complete treatment with the consultants.
4. Age matter:
Age is a major factor when the result and the success rate of the treatment are considered. Women below 35 years have better chance of conceiving than women who have exceeded the age line. However the fertility rate with men remain relatively stable, but it fallswith the decline in testosterone levels.
People often fail to comprehend that infertility treatment in India is quite expensive and the success rate might differ among various individuals. At times people need more than one cycle to conceive, elongating the time frame of the infertility treatment. Apart from considering all the above factors, people need to be patient throughout the infertility treatment.