Infertility can be defined as the inability to get pregnant or to impregnate, despite regular unprotected sex for over a year. Infertility can affect either the male or the female or both the partners.
Now that brings us to the question- can it be treated?
The answer is yes, it can, depending on what causes it. Certain causes of infertility cannot be fixed but most can. Couples or individuals can opt for various methods to treat infertility, or can have a baby through assisted reproductive technologies such as IVF (in vitro fertilisation) or IUI (intrauterine insemination). Infertility treatment is dependent on a few factors which are-
- The reason behind infertility
- The period of time a person has been infertile
- The age of both the partners
- And their personal choice of treatment
Based on these, here are few infertility treatments individuals can opt for-
In case of men
- Lifestyle modification- Certain lifestyle modifications a man can make to treat infertility include- stopping the intake of certain medicines, quitting smoking and alcohol, increasing the number of times of intercourse and changing the time of intercourse as well. Plenty of exercise is also essential.
- Intake of medication- Some particular medicines can increase a man’s sperm count, thereby increasing his chances of impregnating his partner. These medications are aimed at improving a man’s sperm quality and production.
- Surgery- This can help if there’s a blockage in a man’s sperm movement. Surgery can remove the blockage and make the man fertile.
In case of women
- Using fertility drugs- Certain drugs are known to stimulate ovulation in women, the absence of which can cause her to be infertile. Such medications can also help in regulating ovulation. However, there are certain risks involved in their usage and a woman must consult her doctor in this regard.
- Intrauterine insemination- IUI is a method in which healthy sperm are inserted into the woman’s uterus when she’s ovulating.
- Surgery- In the case of women too, surgery can prove to be an effective tool in restoring fertility. Conditions that hamper a woman’s fertility such as endometrial polyps, intrauterine scar tissue and uterine septum can all be fixed by a particular type of surgery known as a hysteroscopy.
Infertility treatment in India has advanced to a great extent, and couples or individuals who are infertile can easily make use of such treatment options. To know which hospitals offer the best infertility treatment in India, one must consult their doctor.