In-vitro fertilization (IVF) is a type of common infertility treatment. It falls under the category of assisted reproductive technology (ART) and is mostly recommended for couples who are suffering from infertility issues like tubal factor infertility, endometriosis, unexplained infertility as well as male factor infertility.
It is known to have a very high success rate and is quite a versatile form of treatment. In fact, IVF treatment in India is quite affordable in many parts of the country. India is quite known for its fertility treatment centres, and some clinics have been exiting in the country since the past 30 years. Today, there are more than 500 centres for infertility treatment in the country, following extremely strict rules when it comes to various fertility treatments.
When choosing a clinic or facility offering IVF Procedures in India, a couple should be very careful. It is best that prior research is done about the facility before seeking treatment there. You can either look up reviews on the fertility centre online or ask if any of your family members or friends know about it.
Here are a couple of things you should be careful about when looking out for a centre offering IVF treatment in India-
- Make sure it is ISAR certified. ISAR stands for Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction.
- The centre should also have ISO certification and accreditation from JCI.
When opting for IVF Procedures in India, one should also be aware of some of the guidelines that need to be followed. Here are a few that you doctor will let you know or you can look up online, once you have decided to undergo IVF treatment-
- In India, sex selection of the foetus is allowed only if there is a possibility that the child is likely to develop a disorder passed on by the X chromosome.
- Donor sperm is not allowed to be used in fertility treatments other than IVF.
- For women donating eggs, the age requirement is between 18-35 years.
- Egg donors have to go through tests that check for infection, STDs and genetic issues.
- IVF surrogacy as well as assisted hatching is allowed in the country
- Micromanipulation is also allowed
The country is known to have quite a large and still growing healthcare sector, this also includes fertility centres. Thus, IVF Procedures in India are not only quite safe but also highly successful. The country has immensely qualified fertility doctors and healthcare services that strive to offer the best medical care to Indian’s and even foreigners seeking treatment for infertility and other medical issues.