A Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test that peeps into the uterus and fallopian tubes in women. This test is performed on the women who experience difficulty conceiving babies.
The procedure of HSG test is as follows:
- The woman is put on sedativesto let her relax.
- A dye is put in a sleek tube which is inserted into the uterus through the vagina. As the uterus and fallopian tubes are linked together, the dye starts to flows into the tube.
- Pictures are taken while the dye flows through the fallopian tube with the help of constant beam of X-Ray.
- The X-ray is potent in detecting issues like injuries or any abnormality in the structure of the uterus or the fallopian tubes.
- It can also detect any blockage that prevents the sperm to move into the fallopian tube to fertilize.
Purpose of HSG test:
AHSG test for infertilityis done:
- To detect any blockage in fallopian tube that might be restricting the process of fertilization.
- To detect abnormal structures forming in uterus like fibroids, polyps, adhesions or other formations.
- To check whether the tubal implants that are performed for the purpose of permanent birth control are blocking or restricting the fallopian tubes.
- To check whether the surgery to reverse the tubal ligation has been successful.
How to prepare:
The woman needs to inform her doctor if she is going through any of the following conditions:
- If she is pregnant or is likely to
- Carrying a pelvic infection or a sexually transmitted infection
- Any allergic iodine dye or other substances that contain iodine
- Any bleeding issues or consuming medicines for blood thinning
- Case history related to kidney problems or diabetes
- Their last menstruation
- The only risk that lingers on with such test is the mild chance of the cell or tissues getting exposed to radiation and being damaged as a result.
- Although rare, another risk that is involved in the test is getting pelvic infection test.
HSG test is done during the inception of infertility treatments. This helps the doctors to comprehend the actual condition of the person in order to proceed with the treatment. HSG test has made diagnosis for infertility much easier with increased accuracy. Thus doctors now days depend a lot on HSG test for infertility to determine the condition of the patients. It is essential for the patients to co-operate with the doctor by providing accurate information about the conditions to minimize the chances of any complications.